It is mid-December and the rush is on to find the perfect gift for everyone on your list. Giving emergency supplies to help build a disaster supply kit and building a communications plan or evacuation plan are practical gifts that help your family be prepared for any emergency.
Emergency supply ideas:
* Disaster kits for homes, offices and cars
* NOAA weather radios with extra batteries
* Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
* First aid kits
* Flash lights and extra batteries
* Fire extinguishers
* Winter car kits
* Pet disaster kits
Maybe you’d rather your gift be one of time and effort:
* Create a picture inventory of a room or two in the house. The digital file can be stored on computer and on a jump drive along with important papers ready to go in an emergency.
* Protect a home from wildfire with a bit of yard work.
* Protect home or office contents from potential flooding – raise appliances and other items.
* Mark a local map with at least two evacuation routes and then drive the routes with the gift recipient.
* Print a list of emergency contacts for wallet, purse, each phone in the house, and for the glove box of each vehicle.
This year, give your family and friends the gift of preparedness. It’s a practical thing to do.