Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It’s Off to School We Go
In my neck of the woods, kids headed back to school this week. And I’m guessing if yours haven’t started yet, they soon will be.
While I know for many parents back-to-school planning means meeting the teacher, buying cases of #2 pencils and notebook paper, and learning the new bus driver’s name, but have you considered starting the new year off buy learning your child’s school emergency plan or brushing up on your family emergency plan?
Remember, while no one likes to think of a disaster occurring, we like even less to think about a disaster occurring when we aren’t with our family.
Back to School Disaster Preparedness Checklist
Take the time now to:
- Learn what your child’s school or day care emergency plan is.
- Find out where children will be taken in the event of an evacuation during school hours.
- Update your emergency contact information is at your child’s school or day care.
- Pre-authorize a friend or relative to pick up your children in an emergency and make sure the school knows who that designated person is.
- Have a family communications plan.
- Review your family communication plan with your child; the plan should include contact information for an out-of-area family member or friend, since local telephone networks may not work during a major disaster.
What have you done to prepare your child for going back to school?